White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and NSC's John Kirby hold a briefing — 1/11/24
In this YouTube video, the speaker discusses several topics, including small business growth in Allentown, job creation under President Biden, inflation rates, and the situation in the Red Sea. Here are the key points covered in each section:
Small Business Growth in Allentown
- President Biden will visit Allentown to meet with small business owners.
- Allentown is making a comeback after facing economic challenges.
- 32,000 jobs have been created in Allentown since Biden took office.
- The unemployment rate has dropped from 6.4% to 3.9% in Allentown.
- 17,000 more residents in Allentown now have access to high-speed internet.
- 4,000 applications have been filed to open businesses in Allentown in three years.
Record-Breaking Small Business Applications
- 16 million business applications have been filed since Biden took office.
- The last three years have seen more business applications than any previous year.
- Small business growth has been strong among Black and Hispanic entrepreneurs.
- Black business ownership has doubled, and Hispanic business ownership is up 40% before the pandemic.
Inflation and Cost Reduction
- Inflation has decreased by two-thirds as supply chain pressures ease.
- Prices have come down for items like eggs, milk, and toys.
- Gas prices have fallen below $3 in many parts of the country.
- The focus is on lowering costs for American households, including prescription drug costs.
Red Sea Situation
- The National Security team is monitoring the attacks in the Red Sea.
- The economic impact and potential effects on the US economy are being monitored.
- Alternate shipping routes are causing longer shipping times, but no major effects on the US economy have been observed yet.
Questions on CPI, Rent, and Tax Negotiations
- Questions are asked about the Consumer Price Index (CPI) numbers, rent inflation, and tax negotiations.
- The administration is focused on addressing high rent and housing costs.
- The government has legislative and regulatory tools to address price increases in specific areas.
- Corporations are called upon to reduce prices as input costs decrease.
Questions on Iran, Israel, and Russia
- Questions on Iran's seizure of a merchant vessel and the response from the US government are addressed.
- The US condemns the seizure and calls for the immediate release of the ship and its crew.
- The US supports Israel's right to self-defense and condemns baseless accusations against Israel.
- The US is monitoring the situation in Russia and continues to urge the release of hostages.
Questions on Judicial Threats and Hunter Biden
- Questions about threats against judges, judicial nominations, and Hunter Biden are addressed.
- The administration condemns threats and violence against judges and supports media freedom.
- No specific comments are provided on Hunter Biden or individual nominees.
Questions on Ukraine, Hezbollah, and Defense Spending
- Questions about defense oversight and accountability in Ukraine are addressed.
- The administration emphasizes the need for accountability in foreign military assistance.
- The US is monitoring threats from Hezbollah and working to protect Americans and allies.
- Questions about defense spending, arms transfer, and the Middle East are addressed.
- No specific comments are provided on the withdrawal of judicial nominees or impeachment proceedings.
Save this summary
Browse more from