White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and NSC's John Kirby hold a briefing — 1/24/24
Updates on International Affairs
- The United States military conducted strikes on facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups in Iraq as a self-defense measure following attacks on US forces.
- 24 countries expressed support for the US and UK's actions against the Houthi rebels in Yemen.
- Various cabinet members and senior administration leaders are engaging with countries in Africa to strengthen partnerships and accelerate opportunities.
Clarifications and Corrections
- There was a correction regarding a previous statement about a meeting with Mexican partners, stating that there was indeed a meeting scheduled for early February.
- There is no announcement regarding President Biden's travel to Africa.
Ceasefire and Ukraine Plane Crash
- The US does not have confirmed information about a Ukrainian plane being shot down by Russia. They are seeking more clarity on the situation.
- The US is committed to de-escalation and encourages Iran to stop supporting militant groups.
Health Care and Affordable Care Act
- President Biden will continue to fight to bring down healthcare and prescription drug costs, and protect and strengthen the Affordable Care Act.
- The administration believes that reproductive rights are essential and is committed to supporting women's rights.
Job Cuts at the LA Times and Boeing Concerns
- The administration is concerned about job cuts in the media industry but does not have specific information on the situation at the LA Times.
- The administration has not had direct contact with Boeing but emphasizes that the FAA prioritizes passenger safety.
Border Situation and Negotiations
- The administration is working on negotiations with Republicans and Democrats to address the border situation.
- The Department of Homeland Security is taking measures to enforce immigration laws and return individuals who do not have legal status.
Inflation and Social Media Legislation
- The administration is monitoring inflation and the situation in the Red Sea.
- The administration has not taken a position on the proposed legislation in California regarding social media platforms.
Appointment of Black Women Judges
- The administration is proud of the appointment and confirmation of black women judges, which aligns with their commitment to diversity and representation in government.
Election Results and Joke about Terry McAuliffe
- The administration believes in freedom of speech and supports journalists' right to report on facts.
- The President made a joke about Terry McAuliffe's previous term as Governor and congratulated him on his election.
UAW Visit and Endorsements
- President Biden has a good relationship with unions and continues to support them.
- The administration cannot speak to endorsements, but the President has been recognized as a pro-union President.
Zen Nicotine Pouches and Crackdown on Social Media Platforms
- The administration cannot speak to specific legislation or reports on Zen nicotine pouches and social media platforms and defers to the FDA for more information.
Save this summary
Browse more from