White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre and NSC's John Kirby hold a briefing — 1/9/2024
Missile deployment and joint statement
- Russia has recently deployed missiles against Ukraine, including ballistic missiles obtained from North Korea.
- The foreign ministers of 47 countries, along with the EU's high representative and Secretary Blinken, have released a joint statement condemning Russia's use of North Korean missiles against Ukraine.
- The statement emphasizes that these arms transfers undermine global non-proliferation efforts and supports Russia's war aggression.
- The US government calls on Congress to approve supplemental funding to provide Ukraine with vital air defense capabilities and military equipment.
Secretary Austin's health
- Secretary Austin was diagnosed with prostate cancer and underwent surgery on December 22, but the White House was not informed until last Friday.
- The President was informed of the diagnosis this morning after the Chief of Staff informed him.
Transparency and accountability
- The President expects transparency and has confidence in Secretary Austin's ability to lead the Defense Department.
- The Pentagon will conduct a review of the information flow process and protocols regarding the Secretary's hospitalization.
- The White House has also issued a memo directing agencies to review their delegation of authority protocols.
Airline safety and grounding of Boeing aircraft
- The FAA is ensuring the safety of American passengers by grounding certain Boeing aircraft until enhanced inspections are completed.
- President Biden believes it is safe to fly, and the FAA's priority is to keep Americans safe.
Economic outlook and recession concerns
- The President remains optimistic about the economy and believes that the economic progress made thus far will continue.
- Unemployment is low, jobs have been created, inflation is falling, and wages and wealth have risen.
- President Biden does not believe a recession is imminent and supports ongoing economic growth.
Mayor of Kiev and business relationship
- The White House does not comment on ongoing legal cases or personal business relationships.
Official events and campaign events
- Official events organized by the White House are separate from campaign events organized by the campaign.
- The White House has been clear in distinguishing between the two types of events and their organization.
Reaction to House Republicans' impeachment hearing against Mayorkas
- The White House views the hearing as a political stunt by House Republicans and believes they should focus on delivering real results for the American people.
Save this summary
Browse more from