Save this summary
Why ADHD Diagnoses Have Exploded In The U.S.
- The number of ADHD diagnoses and prescriptions have been increasing in adults.
- There has been a 16% increase in prescriptions for generic Adderall within the past year.
- The ADHD drug market in the United States is valued at $8.7 billion.
- The U.S. is experiencing a shortage of stimulants, causing issues for patients and providers.
- People are seeking out ADHD diagnoses due to relatable symptoms and increased awareness.
- ADHD is diagnosed based on significant symptoms for at least six months and functional impairment.
- Social media can contain misleading or potentially misinformation about ADHD.
- It is important to distinguish between true ADHD diagnoses and other causes of symptoms.
- Increased awareness of mental health is positive but can also lead to misconceptions about what is pathological.