GitHub Universe 2023 opening keynote
GitHub CEO Thomas Dohmke intro on the promise of AI and software development (00:00:00)
- CEO Thomas Dohmke discusses the transformative impact of AI on software development.
- GitHub's journey with generative AI technology began in 2020, detailed in the internally called Coding Oracle Paper.
- Early experiments with GPT-3 models showed a 93% success rate on programming exercises, signaling AI's potential in improving productivity.
- GitHub built the first large-scale AI-driven tool, Copilot, which has increased developer productivity by 55%.
- Over 37,000 organizations have adopted Copilot, integrating AI into the entire development lifecycle.
- GitHub has been re-founded on the principles of AI, becoming a platform powered by Copilot at every step.
Overview of GitHub Copilot Chat with Allison Weins (00:06:40)
Build an app with GitHub Copilot Chat (00:07:15)
- Allison demonstrates Copilot Chat's ability to assist developers in natural language within their preferred editor.
- The demonstration of building an app called myfirstcommit.com includes creating project scaffolding and adding features with Copilot Chat's help.
- Copilot Chat assists with code generation, fixing bugs, and automating mundane setup tasks.
- The app traces GitHub users' first commits, and Copilot Chat helps sort commits and refine the output.
- Copilot Chat's in-editor commands and inline chat enable direct code modification without manual input.
- The demo highlights Copilot's real-time assistance and problem-solving capabilities under pressure.
GitHub Copilot Chat in Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, JetBrains IDEs (00:14:34)
GitHub Copilot Chat in GitHub Mobile (00:14:55)
- GitHub Copilot Chat is available in Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, JetBrains IDEs, and in native mobile apps for iOS and Android.
- The mobile version allows users to access programming assistance on-the-go for repository questions and documentation.
GitHub Copilot Chat gets even more powerful (00:15:38)
- Copilot Chat has been enhanced with GPT-4 and additional editor context.
- New features include inline chat for on-the-fly coding assistance and slash commands for easy action execution.
- The updated Copilot will be included in existing subscriptions and will be generally available in the coming weeks.
- The advancements aim to make natural language a new universal programming language accessible to all developers.
GitHub Copilot across the developer workflow with Kedasha Kerr (00:16:54)
- GitHub Copilot now integrated into all developer workflow steps
- Copilot is used for code scaling and reviewing pull requests (PRs)
- Enables the addition of unit tests without touching local files using a cloud dev environment
GitHub Copilot Chat and unit tests (00:18:23)
- Copilot Chat can automatically generate a test suite for code components
- Test suites are saved and can be quickly committed
GitHub Copilot Chat in GitHub.com (explain code, generate pull request descriptions) (00:19:16)
- GitHub Copilot Chat integrated into GitHub.com provides code explanations
- Copilot can also generate detailed PR descriptions, including links
GitHub Copilot Chat in GitHub Advanced Security (code scanning autofix, secret scanning for generic secrets) (00:21:21)
- Advanced Security Code scanning now suggests autofixes for vulnerabilities
- Secret scanning tool detects non-patterned secrets like passwords
- AI-powered regular expression assistant to create custom patterns for security
- Copilot integration extends throughout GitHub.com
GitHub Copilot personalized to an organization's codebase with Colin Merkel (00:24:21)
- Copilot provides understanding of complex organizational codebases
- It can access internal documentation and answer questions based on the org's unique code and systems
- Fine-tuning language models with an org's codebase can improve performance for developers
Fostering an ecosystem built on Copilot with GitHub Copilot Partner Program (00:29:00)
- Copilot API allows integration with external tools and partner ecosystems
- The GitHub Copilot Partner Program includes several key partners to extend Copilot's functionality
Accenture + GitHub Copilot (00:30:00)
- Accenture partnered with GitHub to scale and apply learnings from using Copilot
- Copilot is integrated into Accenture's framework, aiming for enhanced coding efficiency, quality, security, and developer experience
- Accenture plans to extend Copilot to 50,000 developers
GitHub Copilot Enterprise (00:31:33)
- Copilot Enterprise to be offered, including all features at the same price
- Personalization and internal knowledge integration into Copilot at every stage of the development lifecycle
- Enterprise offering combines code completion, collaboration, security, compliance, and quality
- Preview of GitHub Copilot Enterprise starts today, with general availability in February 2024
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella + GitHub CEO Thomas Dohmke (00:34:26)
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella joined GitHub CEO Thomas Dohmke to discuss the digital transformation of organizations.
- Nadella expressed his enthusiasm for GitHub Copilot, stating it has brought the joy of coding back into his life.
- Marking five years since Microsoft acquired GitHub, Nadella highlighted how Microsoft's developer-centric heritage aligns with GitHub's direction.
- Mentioned that GitHub elevated Microsoft's involvement in the open source community and played a key role in its growth.
- Discussed the impact of tools like GitHub Copilot on enterprise adoption, noting how quickly organizations like Accenture are deploying them.
- Envisioned Copilot and AI transforming how companies operate across various industries, embracing a digital and software-centric approach.
- Suggested that the use of natural language programming through tools like GitHub Copilot can democratize software development, making it more accessible.
Closing remarks (00:41:57)
- The closing remarks celebrated the potential of AI-powered developer platforms like GitHub Copilot in transforming software development through natural language.
- Acknowledged the contributions of the GitHub team and presenters Alison, Keisha, and Colin.
- Hinted at a "one more thing" announcement, citing Steve Jobs and the concept of machines accelerating human progress, suggesting that GitHub Copilot represents a new phase in the symbiotic partnership between humans and intelligent machines.
Save this summary
Browse more from