Open Source Friday with ClassroomIO
- Classroom.io is an open-source learning management system that offers various features to enhance the learning experience.
- It includes customizable branding, progress tracking, communication tools, AI integration, and personalized dashboards.
- Users can create organizations and multiple courses within those organizations.
- The course creation process involves adding lessons, creating lesson notes, and uploading or embedding videos.
- AI integration helps users generate lesson notes and course descriptions.
- The platform supports polls and quizzes, allowing teachers to gauge student understanding during lessons.
- The grading UI allows teachers to view student submissions and provide feedback and grades.
- Analytics and visualizations are available to help teachers and students track progress and identify areas for improvement.
- Rotimi, a software engineer from Nigeria, created Classroom.io during his free time.
- He used SvelteKit and Superbase to build the MVP of the application in 2-3 months.
- The initial version of the app allowed users to post lesson notes, give assignments, and grade assignments.
- The creator open-sourced the project after being accepted into a program called Codes Pioneers, which provides mentorship and training for open-source projects.
- The tech stack includes SvelteKit, Tailwind CSS, and Superbase for the backend API layer, authentication, storage, and real-time features.
- Spelt is a library that allows for easy integration of AI into React applications.
- The project is currently hosted on Vercel and uses DNS to route subdomains to the application.
- The project is set up for easy local development using Docker and Gitpod.
Contributing to Classroom.io
- To contribute to the project, users can join the GitHub or Discord community.
- The creator of the project encourages contributions to the documentation.
Save this summary
Browse more from