Stock market news today: Nasdaq leads stock market declines | February 20, 2024

Stock market news today: Nasdaq leads stock market declines | February 20, 2024


  • Walmart reported stronger-than-expected holiday quarter results, with revenue jumping 6% and e-commerce sales surging by 23%.
  • Walmart acquired Vizio, a smart TV maker, for $2.3 billion, aiming to expand its digital advertising capabilities.
  • Walmart's earnings report suggests that consumers are still spending but seeking value and convenience, driving demand for the company's offerings.
  • Walmart is investing in its associates by increasing starting pay and offering stock options up to $20,000.
  • Walmart is balancing offering national brands with providing more affordable private brands to cater to customers' needs during high inflation.

Home Depot

  • Home Depot provided a gloomy outlook, missing analysts' expectations for 2024 sales growth due to reduced consumer spending on big-ticket purchases and higher interest rates.
  • Home Depot reported its fifth consecutive quarter of revenue declines, with comp sales falling 3.5% from a year ago and a 1% decline forecast for fiscal 2024.
  • Home Depot's inventory levels are well below last year, suggesting a conservative approach to the upcoming spring selling season.
  • Analyst Brian Nagel believes Home Depot's performance is due to post-pandemic market dislocations and elevated interest rates.

Capital One and Discover Financial Services Merger

  • Capital One and Discover Financial Services are in talks for a potential $35 billion merger, subject to regulatory approval, which could be finalized in late 2024 or early 2025.
  • Capital One announced it would acquire Discover Financial Services in a $35 billion deal, creating the largest credit card company by loan volume.
  • Discover shareholders will own approximately 40% of the combined company, while Capital One shareholders will own the remaining 60%.
  • The merger could have significant implications for the broader financial industry, particularly for Visa, Mastercard, and American Express.


  • Barclays announced more than $12.5 million in capital returns over the last three years, along with cost-cutting measures and restructuring plans.
  • Barclays reported a 3% year-over-year increase in group income and provided detailed information to support conviction in new targets.
  • The bank is undergoing a significant restructuring, dividing its operations into five divisions to better align with future market trends.


  • JetBlue received an upgrade from hold to buy from Deutsche Bank, leading to a surge in pre-market trading.
  • The upgrade was influenced by the developments involving activist investor Carl Icahn, who won two board seats and believes the airline is undervalued.
  • Deutsche Bank expects a more moderate seat mile for 2024, which will positively impact JetBlue's domestic unit.

GlobalFoundries and Intel


  • NVIDIA, which has surpassed Tesla as the most traded name on the street, is down 9% ahead of its earnings report this week.
  • Investors are eagerly awaiting NVIDIA's Q4 earnings report on Wednesday as the stock has surged over 200% and is largely responsible for recent market gains.
  • NVIDIA accounts for all of the S&P 500's gains this year as of last Thursday.
  • Analysts expect NVIDIA to continue its trend of raising its outlook and fulfilling demand for GPUs, despite the disconnect between demand and supply.
  • The company's upcoming technology conference is also highly anticipated for new roadmap technology and information.
  • A potential miss in NVIDIA's report could negatively impact the broader markets, given AI's role in the recent rally.

Broader Market

  • The broader market is experiencing declines, with all the "Magnificent Seven" stocks in the red.
  • The Russell 2000 index is down this morning, and all eyes are on NVIDIA ahead of its earnings report tomorrow.
  • The market is adopting a defensive posture at the start of the trading week, with small caps down 1.43%.
  • The broader market rally is benefiting from better-than-expected earnings reports outside of the "Magnificent Seven" companies, particularly in the financial sector.
  • February tends to be a down month for stocks, especially in presidential election years, but there are reasons to be optimistic.

Commercial Real Estate

  • Commercial real estate has had a challenging year, but there are reasons to be cautiously optimistic in the year ahead due to replacement costs and constrained supply.
  • The industry is expected to recover once interest rates stabilize, but it will take time for price adjustments to occur.
  • Multifamily real estate, known for its stability, is facing challenges due to a pricing disconnect between

Overwhelmed by Endless Content?